zaterdag 12 september 2015

Jordan fi-l-qalb!

It’s almost two weeks after we landed on Schiphol and after living a few days in a Jordanian trance I’m totally back in the Dutch culture now. Looking back on an amazing trip, I realise how lucky I was to join this Summer school. I would have never made this trip by myself but I wouldn’t have missed it for all in the world. I want to thank all of the students for making this trip unforgettable and special thanks to Anna and Dorina for organising the summer school and familiarising us with tourism studies. The course gave me an other and more critical view on tourism.  I really enjoyed blogging, what I didn’t expect in the beginning. McCabe argued that the role of narrative is fundamental in construction of tourist experience and that narrative forms are currently underused in analyses of touristic interaction data.1 Tourists have an natural adoption of a narrativistic approach.1 Often tourists’ experiences of places are revealed  to family with a story-telling approach.  Blogging felt to me as story-telling in a different way than I was used to.
For everyone who (maybe after reading this, I hope so) has plans to visit Jordan, I will give at last some practical advises: Jordan is a moderate Muslim country so I can advise you to wear clothes that cover your shoulders and knees, but as a European blond woman you can’t avoid starring faces from locals with that.  In the touristic sites I never felt unsafe but I think this will be different at the borders, so avoid that. As I mentioned in my previous entry, I felt really welcomed to Jordan so don’t be afraid to ask and talk with locals, they will really appreciate that.  It feels a bit strange that this will be almost the end of my blog. I hope you all enjoyed reading it and if you have more questions or if you want more advise, don’t be afraid to contact me! (
marielbuurman@gmail.com
). Jordan has really surprised me and has blown all my mixed feelings away:
1 McCabe, S. Foster, C. (2008) The role and function of narrative in tourist interaction. Journal of Tourism and Cultural Change, 4(3) 194-215


Jordan is in my heart!

My mother was also happy to see me again....

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Wauw! Wat een ervaring. Wat heb je een hoop mooie dingen gezien en gedaan!
    Ik was al jaloers dat je naar Jordanië ging maar na het lezen van de leuke verhalen en het zien van alle foto's natuurlijk helemaal!
    Mocht ik een keer de kans hebben om zo'n reis te maken dan zal ik dat zeker doen!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Het was echt een geweldige ervaring! Als je die kans krijgt, moet je hem zeker pakken! Mocht je dan nog tips of adviezen dan mag je altijd contact met mij opnemen.

      Verwijderen
  2. Wat schrijf je leuke en interessante dingen in je blog! Erg leuk om te lezen hoe jij Jordanië hebt ervaren. En ook door het zien van die prachtige foto's zou ik graag een keer naar Jordanië willen!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Fijn om te horen dat je mijn blog met plezier hebt gelezen en dat ik je enthousiast heb gemaakt om ook naar Jordanië te gaan!

      Verwijderen