maandag 7 september 2015

Where are the other tourist?

It is our first day in Jordan and although I was really looking forward to this day, I was also a bit nervous. ‘Is it safe in Jordan?’ is the question many asked me and because I had no clear answer, my feelings were a bit mixed. Our day started at the Embassy of the Netherlands and they told us that the Jordanian government undertook a lot of action to ensure the safety in their country and that we were safe here. It gave me a better feeling but I wanted to see and feel it myself. After our visit to the Embassy we had an beautiful city tour in Amman along a Mosque, the theatre and Citadel. After that, we went to Jerash, the best remained Roman city after Rome. Everything was so beautiful and felt so good that I, after this day, could already say to everyone who asked about the safety: I feel very safe here!
But I missed one thing during this first day: other tourists. We were alone at almost every site and although it is not high season I was expecting more tourists. Omar, our tour guide, told us that since the ongoing turmoil in 2010 the tourism industry has decreased with 40 percent each year. This is of course terrible for a country depending on tourism.  Alvarez and colleagues investigated the influence of the media and political issues in the perceptions of Turkey as a tourism destination. Television and the written press were determined as the most significant sources of information, other than word of mouth and experience.1 I think this is also the case in Jordan. Television and also information on the side of the Dutch authorities advise against visiting Jordan and because of that they search for other destinations. Needless or rather necessary? Maybe too early, after only one day, to draw a conclusion on that now, so to be continued!

1 Alvarez, MD. Korzay, M. (2008) Influence of politics and media in the perceptions of Turkey as a tourism destination. Tourism Review 63(2), 38-46

Our group in front of the Dutch Embassy with Maartje Peters

Inside King Abdullah I Mosque

Theatre in Amman with my roommates

Citadel Amman

Jerash

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten